- Take caution when using the liquids (reagents) in our Spot Kits and QTest Kits—they contain chemicals that can damage the skin. For this reason, we recommend wearing latex gloves, protective glasses or goggles, and protective clothing when handling any of our kits.
- The chemical mixtures in our kits are highly acidic—avoid contact with the skin, eyes, and mouth, and do not ingest under any circumstances.
- Conduct tests in a well-ventilated area to avoid accidental inhalation of fumes.
- Clean the area completely after a test is performed.
For Spot Test Kits / Apollo Spot Kit Packages:
- If you do not have access to our approved test tubes or testing platforms, you may also use a completely clean, dry:
- White ceramic plate
- Water bottle lid
- Anything made of polypropylene plastic (labeled with PP, or a #5 recycling symbol)
- Anything made of low-density polyethylene plastic (labeled with LDPE, or a #4 recycling symbol)
- If the reagent bottles become clogged or blocked, do not squeeze excessively to clear.
- Instead, we recommend inserting a paperclip or similar object into the nozzle (being careful not to touch uncovered fingertips to the opening).
- You may also securely close the bottle and shake vigorously to clear the obstruction.
- When adding in reagent liquid from a spot kit, be careful to not let the dropper bottle touch your substance—this could contaminate your kit and bottle.
Can I take (ingest, insufflate, inject, etc.) the small portion of substance I used for testing?
Do not take or consume any substance that has come in contact with the testing liquid. The chemicals in our spot kits are unsafe to ingest—even in small amounts.
Are the test kits dangerous?
To date, millions of tests have been conducted without incident. However, the chemical mixtures in our kits contain a strong acid that can burn the skin, as well as damage the eyes, mouth, and digestive system. When handling these chemicals, avoid contact with the skin, eyes, and mouth, and do not ingest under any circumstances. These chemicals have the capability of melting types of plastics, clothing, wood, and the majority of other materials—with the exception of specific plastics and glass. We strongly advise you to use our approved plastic test tubes, or our approved ceramic testing platforms. If you have run out of test tubes; a clean, dry, white ceramic plate may be used for testing.
What should I do if I get the chemicals on my skin, in my eyes, or I ingest it?
Contact Poison Control (1-800-222-1222)
- If the chemical was swallowed, immediately contact a physician. Poison Control recommends you thoroughly wash out the mouth as soon as possible, followed by drinking one glass of water.
- If the chemical comes in contact with the skin or eyes, continuously flush out the eyes or rinse the skin with water for at least 15 minutes. Contact a physician if necessary.
- If you or another individual has inhaled the fumes created during the testing process, immediately move to fresh air. Consult a physician if necessary.